pinching 2 click

24 replies to this topic

#1 Darcyd

Darcyd

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

I always assumed when my 2 clicking got fast enough, pinching would naturally follow.I 2 click pretty fast. The outer limits of my 2 clicking are 70bpm double or 140bpm reg. That is where it starts to fall apart. I can do it "clicking" and "twiddling". The pinching does not seem to want to come. I am hoping by discussing pinching in a thread, i'll find something that helps me.

#2 Unseen

Unseen

Blue Belt

• Members
  • 611 posts
  • DJ Name:*Unseen*

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

maybe have some goals in mind. this also applies to your double time thread so i'll dead 2 birds with 1 stone. i like to have a goal in mind once i become proficient with the technique. my definition of proficient is simply being able to execute 1 cycle or completion of the scratch or cut. obviously its single time first, then double time. once i am able to perform the cut or scratch [just once] single time without too much conscious effort, i will shoot for 2 cycles. once thats achieved, i go for 3 or 4 or whatever i feel the threshold is of it falling apart or beginning to get sloppy. once you have a string of them together, i move that to an instrumental and see if i can work them in some measures.

#3 Darcyd

Darcyd

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

That is the standard technique for patterns and new cuts i am working. I am more curious about the specific topic of pinching. The double time thread was not mine. It seems you only killed one bird, and it was someone else bird.

#4 Eksotik

Eksotik

Blue Belt

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

Darcyd, on 19 February 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

I can do it "clicking" and "twiddling".

What do you mean by "clicking" ?

#5 Darcyd

Darcyd

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

tapping vs. twiddling would have been the right word i think.

#6 Eksotik

Eksotik

Blue Belt

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

And by tapping you mean "tap twiddle" ? as in this video:

You do know the tehnique to pinching? (close with thumb/wrist, tap, open with wrist) If you do then .. practice more maybe? :D
Basically it's like the tap-twiddle but with one finger instead of two, so that finger has to work more, so maybe it's not used to it yet?

#7 savagehenry

savagehenry

Blue Belt

• Members
  • 550 posts
  • DJ Name:Savagehenry.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

I'm the other way round..I find pinching comes easy to twilldling.. for fader on to off.

My twiddle is only good for a fast transform. off to on.

Pinching is much better for the 'open' section in-between the forward and backward parts of the 2 click. (not that I'm an orbit master)

Peace.

#8 Darcyd

Darcyd

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

interesting. In the video he shows pinching vs. twiddling, that is what i would have originally called tapping vs. twiddiling. Pinching as i know it in my community of scratchers, is when you get your two click tapping ( or pinching according to this video) so fast that it is only a small muscle contraction for the two taps, a pinch for two clicks really. This is used for faster than double time (or whatever the hell you want) as i have seen it. According to this video i am a wicked pincher, but it's not quite what i had in mind. I'll try and see if i can find some footage of what technique i refer to as pinching.

#9 Darcyd

Darcyd

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

http://www.youtube.c...&v=aNpsoSsx29M#!

This guy is pinching when he two clicks.

#10 Eksotik

Eksotik

Blue Belt

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

yes, interesting. As far as I know it's called pinching because the fingers seem to move together and then apart. Like you are pinching someone.
By that definition Johnny 1move is pinching. But this can be another boomerand/2-click-delayed-flare thing :D

By very fast do you mean you are supposed to kind of spasm your hand? Like uzis with the record? But even then it's still the same movement Johnny 1move is doing in that video, just faster. Is this what you mean?

Darcyd, on 19 February 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

http://www.youtube.c...&v=aNpsoSsx29M#!

This guy is pinching when he two clicks.

Hmm, it's hard to see what his wrist is doing IMHO.

#11 Darcyd

Darcyd

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:19 AM

correct, it's the controlled "spasm" 2 click i'm referring to. I understood that to be pinching. I have been hanging out with these scratch nerds from France, and they all cut at the speed of light and they two click faster than you would be able to click twiddling on cocaine. It seems they do it with small controlled muscle spasms that they refer to as pinching. The johnny1move stuff not only is pinching and makes sense as such, but i now see i was referring to something else.

Yes , in the video i posted it is very hard to see what is going on, but as i have seen that guy cut live many times, i know in fact he is doing the "spasm" 2 click i call pinching. I'll try to get some better footage.

"""By very fast do you mean you are supposed to kind of spasm your hand? Like uzis with the record? But even then it's still the same movement Johnny 1move is doing in that video, just faster. Is this what you mean?""" Quote from above.

yes, but how do you get to that faster? i though it was through "pinching" like you say, uzis, but on the fader hand resulting in two clicks at the speed of light.

#12 Unseen

Unseen

Blue Belt

• Members
  • 611 posts
  • DJ Name:*Unseen*

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

Darcyd, on 19 February 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

That is the standard technique for patterns and new cuts i am working. I am more curious about the specific topic of pinching. The double time thread was not mine. It seems you only killed one bird, and it was someone else bird.

fail. my bad.

#13 kwote

kwote

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • DJ Name:kwote

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

In simple terms learn to 1 click with only your thumb and pointer finger. Then learn to 1 click with your wrist. Then combine the two, with the first click coming from the thumb and pointer finger followed instantly by the wrist for the 2nd click.

#14 Darcyd

Darcyd

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

That's what i'm talking about. Kwote for the win.

#15 Jam Burglar

Jam Burglar

Black Belt

• Moderators
  • 1,805 posts
  • DJ Name:Cut Up

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

I think it's even simpler than that. If you just grip the fader, never let go, and try to bust out two-clicks you'll wear yourself out. By letting go of the fader in between the burst of clicks you get a little rest. If you work at two-clicks just trying to make the correct sound you'll eventually end up doing the pinch technique because you have to to keep your arm from falling off.

#16 Darcyd

Darcyd

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Here is a better view of some " pinching " i hate the special effect he is using on the camera, it makes it hard to see.

#17 Eksotik

Eksotik

Blue Belt

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Darcyd, on 21 February 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

That's what i'm talking about. Kwote for the win.

But that is the standard pinching technique (I asked if you know this :D) , I understood you were looking for something else?
Could you give a timeframe when he's "pinching" in the last video?

#18 chile

chile

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • DJ Name:chile

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

http://www.healthhyp...hand_joints.jpg

bit busy at the moment but i'll try do a short tutorial on pinching soon.. I think its a bit misleading this whole idea of wrist movements being involved in creating clicks. While there is the appearence of a wrist motion, from what i can tell its a byproduct of the finger motions themselves and the strength at which the fingers are tensed (the stronger the tense the more the finger tendons cause movement at the carpometacarpal joint which causes wrist motion).

I mean there is definitely wrist action involved, its just not something you have to conciously be aware of when learning the technique itself, providing you do the finger motions correctly.. for example, give this a try:

Tap on a surface (armchair or table) with your index finger while keeping your hand and wrist in resting position (i.e. - horizontal and aligned with the forearm). there shouldnt be any wrist motion involved when you’re tapping.. so all the joint bending should be at the MCP joint.

now if you do the same tapping but start with your finger already on the surface youre tapping and push into the surface.. when you tense this time your wrist will bend as a byproduct of the motion.. you don’t need to be aware of the wrist at all for that motion to occur, its just the nature of the finger motion itself and how that part of the body will bend against an object.. in the case of pinching the object is the cross fader with the thumb behind it.

#19 rekkidplayer

rekkidplayer

Blue Belt

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • DJ Name:chris b.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

I seem to be clicking by torqing my wrist, and using my thumb as the other clicking force and my 3rd and 4th fingers to get the reverse motion. Kind of like picturing someone playing slap bass. So for me my entire technique is based on wrist movement...although I haven't mastered it yet, I'm getting good results so far. Much better actually than using my 1st finger...just can't seem to control it or keep the tension off.

#20 theboy23

theboy23

White Belt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • DJ Name:dj basic

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

I scratch hamster and my 2 clicks are pretty lame when I try and get my speed up. is this 'spasm' the best way for me? Cos I find it hard to pinch going fast.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users