11 replies to this topic

#1 dj kave

dj kave

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • DJ Name:dj kave

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:13 AM

I use Ortofon Q berts. Im not able to tell if they are still good or worn out,been scratching with it for 6 months everyday..an hour a day.

sorry if my post sounds silly..Im planning on competing in the DMC in my area ,which is happn next month. I just want to be prepared.

thanks ph34r.gif

#2 Gizmo

Gizmo

The Big Boss

• Admin
  • 5,881 posts
  • DJ Name:Gizmo

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:49 AM

Your needles are fine. They should last something like 2 years with regular use. I have Shures that are close to 5 years old and I'm still using them.

#3 dj kave

dj kave

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • DJ Name:dj kave

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE(Gizmo @ Jul 12 2007, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your needles are fine. They should last something like 2 years with regular use. I have Shures that are close to 5 years old and I'm still using them.

Thanks 4 ur Reply Gizmo.

#4 wildstylus

wildstylus

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(Gizmo @ Jul 12 2007, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Styli should last years depending on how much you abuse them. The only time I change needles is when they physically break and the metal bit that holds the diamond breaks away from the cartridge.

You know it's time to change your needles though when the sound quality starts dropping off - becoming distorted and/or muffled. When this happens, you need to replace your needles to prevent severe record wear.

#5 M-Print

M-Print

Official Pants Party

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE(Gizmo @ Jul 12 2007, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't the stylus wear records after 6 months or so? Iv'e noticed that when my stylus has been used for around 8-10 months it will put heavy static on records with just a few uses. A new song we were recording used a bass part from UPR4. After only playing this song for a month or so, the sample became riddled with static. We just ordered a new copy the other day to record with. We instantly recorded it to Serato so we would have a static free sample. I started to notice after just 10 min. or so of playing it, it started to get mild static. This is either a wrecked stylus or saying something about Ricci's record quality. However I have noticed this on some other records as well, just not this bad this quick.

#6 dj chrisp

dj chrisp

White Belt

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • DJ Name:dj chrisp

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:05 AM

this is kind of an old thread, but i thought i would ask here instead of making a new topic.

i'm having problems running torq. and their tech support told me my needles are probably worn. I bought them used so i dont really know if they are worn or not.

when i was playing regular vinyl it sounded good. so i figured the needles are still ok.

#7 broke

broke

Jiz Mopper

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:16 AM

They recommend you change them after 500 hours of playing... probably half that if you're scratching and juggling.

#8 andy

andy

White Belt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • DJ Name:atm

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:09 AM

i change mine every 6 months , im going to get some next week & was wondering ..... what are the concorde qberts like ?

#9 dj chrisp

dj chrisp

White Belt

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • DJ Name:dj chrisp

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:55 AM

well is there a way to tell with out counting the amount of hours played? cause i have no idea how long they were used for.

i just really dont want to ahve to go out and buy new needles and have nothing change....

#10 skunkweed

skunkweed

Blue Belt

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:57 AM

good luck in the DMCs man. hopefully if you get through they'll give you a vis this year!! wink.gif

#11 professorbx

professorbx

Blue Belt

• Moderators
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:32 AM

It depends on every needle. I had a pair of 505sk 1's that lasted for 4 years and sets of 447's that lasted 4 months. Now with the advent of DVS systems I use the timecode read displays to tell me-I have 6 Ortofon Pro S styli and I can see the difference in the readout on each. My 680V3's (my new primary needles) so far give me the best readout so they are what I use typically. If you don't want to go that far though just use the rule of thumb that if it sounds bad and skips it is worn out. If it holds as well as it did when you bought them and broke them in then they are fine.

#12 Cuts

Cuts

Brown Belt

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

you can also see it, if your needles pick up alot of dust

and ofcourse the sound quality

better change them on time than wear out alot of your records

but that just my opinion smile.gif

hard to say when they are, cause not everyone uses them as much as the other, not everyone has the same height, and weight on the arm etc.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users