#1 Makero

Makero

Mopping the dojo floor

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • DJ Name:Makero

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

Hello.
The new Rane TTM 56S was released few months ago and i was thinking...

Is there anybody on this board who have bought Rane TTM 56S.
Is it worth of those little upgrades if you have used 56.
Layout is new, looks like TTM 57 but faders are the same.

Right now I'm jamming & mixing with my 10 years old mixer (which doesn't have proper crossfader curve) and
now i would like to get back to skratching. I have searched reviews and info about the TTM 56S but I haven't found
anything good.

So, what are your thoughts?

Gizmo:
Rane TTM 56S -review, when?

Thanks.

#2 wakka

wakka

Blue Belt

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:01 AM

Still missing XLR outputs, thorough curve control, and has proprietary faders (can't go 3rd party or replace them yourself). But they do have awesome customer support.

For that price though, I would opt for a Scratchbox or a Xone 02. I would give the Numark Pro SMX a chance as well.

#3 ed1981

ed1981

Yellow Belt

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(wakka @ Jun 4 2009, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and has proprietary faders (can't go 3rd party or replace them yourself). But they do have awesome customer support.

I thought this had the same faders as the old 56? where it is possible to drop an innofader in there if you want.
Is that no longer possible on the 56s?

#4 Jam Burglar

Jam Burglar

Black Belt

• Moderators
  • 1,812 posts
  • DJ Name:Cut Up

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(Makero @ Jun 3 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello.
The new Rane TTM 56S was released few months ago and i was thinking...

Is there anybody on this board who have bought Rane TTM 56S.
Is it worth of those little upgrades if you have used 56.
Layout is new, looks like TTM 57 but faders are the same.

Right now I'm jamming & mixing with my 10 years old mixer (which doesn't have proper crossfader curve) and
now i would like to get back to skratching. I have searched reviews and info about the TTM 56S but I haven't found
anything good.

So, what are your thoughts?

Gizmo:
Rane TTM 56S -review, when?

Thanks.

I'd buy a normal 56 if they are cheaper. They also got rid of the two extra modes for the faders. I actually use the pan mode sometimes for tru-pans (even though the pan is kind of wack because if you go from left to right it fades the left out to silence and then fades the right in instead of mixing the left and right chanels like a normal pan would).

I'm skeptical about the internal power on the 56S. The reason the older ranes have external power is to avoid a source of noise. The internal power seems like pandering at the expense of sound quality.

The ability to have 4 turtables or 4 line level ins on the 56S is cool but not really essential.

The two different headphone jacks doesn't really matter to me.

I'm not really sure what the difference between the transformer and kill switches are. So I don't care much about that either.

I just like the layout of the 56 with the slow fast curves closer to the upfades and its one inch thinner too. The 56S is also lacking the LED lights that tell you when your channel reverse is on, and whether your faders are reversed. If you fuck with any of those buttons while cutting, mixing, juggling, its really nice to be able to easily tell what is switched and what isn't without having to spend time figuring out if a button is up or down and then processing what that means, if you know what I mean.

#5 professorbx

professorbx

Blue Belt

• Moderators
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

I would get the OG 56 as well-there actually seem to be more losses than gains here.

Funny side note-never have I ever had a soundman who has use 1/4inch balanced outs-they actually hate them. They love XLR outputs, but the quarter inch ones, they often times sneer and use the RCA's instead.

#6 Nation

Nation

Green Belt

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(professorbx @ Jun 4 2009, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would get the OG 56 as well-there actually seem to be more losses than gains here.

Funny side note-never have I ever had a soundman who has use 1/4inch balanced outs-they actually hate them. They love XLR outputs, but the quarter inch ones, they often times sneer and use the RCA's instead.

Is there a signal level difference between the XLR outs and the RCA line outs? I think it may be something like +12dBu vs. -4dBu. Because I know a 20ft+ run of XLR cable to the PA sounds noticeably better than a 20ft run of RCAs.

#7 professorbx

professorbx

Blue Belt

• Moderators
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(Nation @ Jun 4 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a signal level difference between the XLR outs and the RCA line outs? I think it may be something like +12dBu vs. -4dBu. Because I know a 20ft+ run of XLR cable to the PA sounds noticeably better than a 20ft run of RCAs.

There is both a level and noise difference. Balanced cables can cancel out noise over long cable lengths, and balanced outputs can be, depending on the manufacturer, between +4 and +12db instead of the typical -10db of RCA outputs. The issue is that most soundmen don't have balanced 1/4 inch cables around, or, if they do, they aren't that long, so in the end if you want to use them you have to bring your own damn cables and hope the soundman will let you use them. 90% of the time the soundman just plugged the RCA's of my old Rane and Stanton mixers into a DI to convert it to a balanced signal, and then ran a long XLR cable. Since I got my Pioneer and A&H mixers the soundmen love me because they can just plug in an XLR cable and go.

1/4'' balanced jacks just present more work for the soundman, and, as any performer knows, NEVER make the soundman's life harder because they (if they are good) are the only thing stopping you from sounding like ass.

#8 Johnny 1 Move

Johnny 1 Move

Green Belt

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(Jam Burglar @ Jun 4 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd buy a normal 56 if they are cheaper. They also got rid of the two extra modes for the faders. I actually use the pan mode sometimes for tru-pans (even though the pan is kind of wack because if you go from left to right it fades the left out to silence and then fades the right in instead of mixing the left and right chanels like a normal pan would).

Not a fan of the modes myself... especially on the crossfader...

I'm skeptical about the internal power on the 56S. The reason the older ranes have external power is to avoid a source of noise. The internal power seems like pandering at the expense of sound quality.

The external power supply is pretty lame co the connector is really dodgy. If you take your mixer out and about often the tend to break.

The ability to have 4 turtables or 4 line level ins on the 56S is cool but not really essential.

The two different headphone jacks doesn't really matter to me.

I'm not really sure what the difference between the transformer and kill switches are. So I don't care much about that either.

I just like the layout of the 56 with the slow fast curves closer to the upfades and its one inch thinner too. The 56S is also lacking the LED lights that tell you when your channel reverse is on, and whether your faders are reversed. If you fuck with any of those buttons while cutting, mixing, juggling, its really nice to be able to easily tell what is switched and what isn't without having to spend time figuring out if a button is up or down and then processing what that means, if you know what I mean.

Actually the lights are there - they shine through the faceplate - you can just about see them on that picture

#9 wakka

wakka

Blue Belt

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE(ed1981 @ Jun 4 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought this had the same faders as the old 56? where it is possible to drop an innofader in there if you want.
Is that no longer possible on the 56s?

But it is just the Innofader, and that requires a special adapter board. I'm sure it will work for the 56S as well, but I highly doubt other manufacturers will do the same. Don't get me wrong, the Rane magnetic faders are missing cut-in adjust and tension adjust but they are still fantastic and smooth faders.

It's about feel over anything, but there won't be much you can do if you find something that feels better

I use RCAs and 1/4s for all my connections to and from the mixer, but from mixer to powered speakers, I feel it's better to use XLRs, just because 1/4"s feel flimsy in comparison

#10 professorbx

professorbx

Blue Belt

• Moderators
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE(wakka @ Jun 5 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But it is just the Innofader, and that requires a special adapter board. I'm sure it will work for the 56S as well, but I highly doubt other manufacturers will do the same. Don't get me wrong, the Rane magnetic faders are missing cut-in adjust and tension adjust but they are still fantastic and smooth faders.

It's about feel over anything, but there won't be much you can do if you find something that feels better

I use RCAs and 1/4s for all my connections to and from the mixer, but from mixer to powered speakers, I feel it's better to use XLRs, just because 1/4"s feel flimsy in comparison

Back when cost was a consideration 1/4'' outs made sense. At this point there is no excuse on any mixer over $250.

#11 Makero

Makero

Mopping the dojo floor

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • DJ Name:Makero

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(wakka @ Jun 4 2009, 06:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still missing XLR outputs, thorough curve control, and has proprietary faders (can't go 3rd party or replace them yourself). But they do have awesome customer support.

For that price though, I would opt for a Scratchbox or a Xone 02. I would give the Numark Pro SMX a chance as well.

Thanks for your messages about the TTM 56S, good stuff.
TTM 56S has good updates but still it lacks those little things.
XLR outs would have been a good update but i can live with RCA outputs.

Yes, one choice for new mixer could be Xone 02 or the new Xone 2:02. Faceplate is.. well...
Haven't heard a lot about 2:02 because was released while ago. ProXfade sounds good. rolleyes.gif

#12 Yorick

Yorick

Spite

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

Honestly at the same price I would take the ProXFadeless Xone2:02 over the one with the ProXFade in it.

The faceplate is that bad...

Imagine trying to sell it second hand.

#13 Jam Burglar

Jam Burglar

Black Belt

• Moderators
  • 1,812 posts
  • DJ Name:Cut Up

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE(Johnny 1 Move @ Jun 4 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a fan of the modes myself... especially on the crossfader...

The external power supply is pretty lame co the connector is really dodgy. If you take your mixer out and about often the tend to break.

Actually the lights are there - they shine through the faceplate - you can just about see them on that picture

Set the upfaders on pan and set the curve to slow. Then you can do mules/tru-fades that pan while you scratch. I don't think I've ever used the modes on the cross-fader, but I bet I could find a cool use for it one day.

Everybody complains about that plastic phone type connector but I still use the one from my 54 (it's almost 10 years old now) and its never broken. I've just always been careful with it.

That's good to know about the lights. What I really want is a light to the headpone cue. I'd also like a cue so you can scratch before letting people hear.

The dopest thing would be a seperate EFX loop that you can chain to the first EFX loop. That way you could put your looper on its own EXF loop. That way you can better utilize the wet-dry for your EFX instead of having to set everything to 100% wet when you have a looper in the chain.

#14 wbsk

wbsk

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • DJ Name:wellbeskeleton

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

Well, if your soundman think it's hard work to find a TRS->XLR cable, then maybe change soundman...

#15 professorbx

professorbx

Blue Belt

• Moderators
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(wbsk @ Jun 5 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, if your soundman think it's hard work to find a TRS->XLR cable, then maybe change soundman...

Go to any small to medium sized club. They have a bin of cables, beat to hell and often stolen. They want to spend time making you sound good instead of wasting time wiring you up.

#16 wbsk

wbsk

Orange Belt

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • DJ Name:wellbeskeleton

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:29 AM

I thought they wanted to optimize their time in the bathroom doing tracks! :|

#17 songa

songa

White Belt

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(wbsk @ Jun 6 2009, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought they wanted to optimize their time in the bathroom doing tracks! :|

i have the original 56. the only reason i am interested in the 56s is mainly becuase now all 4 inputs are phono/line interchangeable. this normally wouldnt be a big deal for me, but i want to some day get an SL3. the way i have things set up right now, i NEED 2 line inputs free (to connect other external sources), but i also need to 2 line inputs to connect the SL3. on the original 56, you only have 2 line inputs, and 2phono's. from my understanding, you dont need phono inputs on your mixer if you're running your turntables into the SL3. and the SL3 connects tot he mixer via line inputs. so for this reason, the 4 line inputs on the 56s vs the 2 line/2 phono on the 56 are def. a plus forme. its also finally good to get rid of that damn telephone jack power supply....i broke one already.

#18 alter718

alter718

White Belt

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:42 AM

I have a 56s and love it. Most points have already been made regarding the pros and cons but I thought i'd add my 2 cents. The sound is amazing. I had a Stanton SA5 (still do) and the difference in sound was astounding. The faders are fantastic although I liked my innofader (in SA5) even more. Internal power supply is key. Is it worth it over the regular 56 (which I have used on several occasions)? Probably not but I found mine new for 600 so it was a no brainer. Warranty and customer service are second to none and if you're in the states, well so is Rane making them as easy to reach as a phone call. Gee, I think I'm just rambling now.
Oh, just noticed the comparison pics above and having used both the layout on the 56s is a fair bit cleaner and more logically laid out...

#19 aRKei

aRKei

Wants more knob jokes

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE(Jam Burglar @ Jun 5 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everybody complains about that plastic phone type connector but I still use the one from my 54 (it's almost 10 years old now) and its never broken. I've just always been careful with it.

The one on my rane is still intact too. I also used one of these telephone/modem-connectors you get when buying a laptop, in which I plug the connector.

#20 djbozak

djbozak

Mopping the dojo floor

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(wbsk @ Jun 5 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. True. Not disagreeing with you here professorbx, would rather my 56 have xlr's myself, but the lack of them has never gotten in my way in my studio or in any venue I have used the 56 in.

Never experienced soundman backlash either.

I see no real glaring reason to buy the "S" if you have a 56 already. When it was released I was super underwhelmed. I see it as a cost saving decision on Ranes part more then anything.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users