How good is the Rane TTM 54i?

7 replies to this topic

#1 ULTRARMEGAR

ULTRARMEGAR

Mopping the dojo floor

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

...Probably a stupid question to ask in the age of the TTM 56/57, but I've got the chance to pick up one cheap, and it seems technically better than my Stanton SK 2F LTD.
The effects send/return is what's drawing me to it, but I'm worried about the faders, so if anyone can tell me how good they are for cutting and how durable they are that would be great. Also, I'm trying to work out whether I should go for the TTM 54i or just stick a pro X-Fade into my stanton. Advice much appreciated...

#2 ciscoelnino

ciscoelnino

Black Belt

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(ULTRARMEGAR @ Jan 1 2007, 05:22 PM) View Post
...Probably a stupid question to ask in the age of the TTM 56/57, but I've got the chance to pick up one cheap, and it seems technically better than my Stanton SK 2F LTD.
The effects send/return is what's drawing me to it, but I'm worried about the faders, so if anyone can tell me how good they are for cutting and how durable they are that would be great. Also, I'm trying to work out whether I should go for the TTM 54i or just stick a pro X-Fade into my stanton. Advice much appreciated...

they are great mixers, i had one. i put a scrape modded a PCV fader in the one i had, and put ALPS line faders in it. but the 54 doesnt have 3 band eq, but the eq's have a dope sweep on em. i was a big fan of mine when i had it. the stock faders are good, but you just gotta take care of them. but how much of a good deal is it? i wouldnt spend more than 250 on it, because if you really look around you can get a used 56 for about 450 to 500 (but thats looking around, and waiting around on ebay)

#3 ULTRARMEGAR

ULTRARMEGAR

Mopping the dojo floor

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

Alright cheers ciscoelnino. It's a pretty good deal, hopefully not above 100 quid, I definitely wouldn't go for it if it starts getting too pricey, I just thought a Rane for that price sounds good, but couldn't find a decent review from a scratch DJ point of view. What kind of "feel" do the ttm 54i's faders have? (eg: similar to vestax, penny and giles?)

#4 ciscoelnino

ciscoelnino

Black Belt

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(ULTRARMEGAR @ Jan 1 2007, 09:48 PM) View Post
Alright cheers ciscoelnino. It's a pretty good deal, hopefully not above 100 quid, I definitely wouldn't go for it if it starts getting too pricey, I just thought a Rane for that price sounds good, but couldn't find a decent review from a scratch DJ point of view. What kind of "feel" do the ttm 54i's faders have? (eg: similar to vestax, penny and giles?)

they deffinetly dont feel like a vestax or P&G, the kind of remind me of the Gemini UMX faders, or technics sh-dj1200 faders. but also note of you scrape mod a vestax or alps into a 54 for a crossfader, you only have a sharp cut. and there is a tiny pop you will hear, like how the focus fader is.

#5 Alan

Alan

Yellow Belt

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE(ULTRARMEGAR @ Jan 1 2007, 05:22 PM) View Post

I'd rate the 54 somewhere in between the 52 and the 56/ 57. happy.gif

#6 Gyro

Gyro

Brown Belt

• Gear Geeks
  • 963 posts
  • DJ Name:Ampersand

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:00 PM

Historically yes, it is between the 52 and the 56/57, but from the specs; casing, features, knobs are much more closer to a 52i. I own a 52i and love it. Wish it had effect loop like the 54 tough...

#7 M-Print

M-Print

Official Pants Party

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(ciscoelnino @ Jan 1 2007, 10:06 PM) View Post
they deffinetly dont feel like a vestax or P&G, the kind of remind me of the Gemini UMX faders, or technics sh-dj1200 faders. but also note of you scrape mod a vestax or alps into a 54 for a crossfader, you only have a sharp cut. and there is a tiny pop you will hear, like how the focus fader is.

I thought they had P&G faders in the 54 as well as the Empath line.

#8 ciscoelnino

ciscoelnino

Black Belt

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:24 AM

nope, they started using P&G's with the empath

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users