Stanton SK-2

8 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Kronik

DJ Kronik

White Belt

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

I wanted to know if the long discontinued Stanton SK-2 is a VCA mixer. One of my cohorts had one lying around his place, but the crossfader stem is broke. I managed to get ahold of U.S. ordeing info for an Infinium fader and I thought it would be cool if I had a "C" mixer to back up my "B" mixer.

Thanks!

#2 Yorick

Yorick

Spite

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:48 AM

Two backup mixers?...

And excuse my ignorance, but what's VCA?

#3 the willpowa

the willpowa

Brown Belt

• Gear Geeks
  • 787 posts
  • DJ Name:willpowa

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE(Yorick @ Feb 26 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two backup mixers?...

And excuse my ignorance, but what's VCA?

voltage control amp-same circuit copied high end mixing consoles- the voltage is not passed through the faders resulting in a longer lasting cleaner sounding fader is also necessary for the adjustable curve feature-short answer

no it is not but uses the same circuit in the form of an optocoupler (3 of them) basically the same thing and that the optocoupler is a cheaper method of making a skratch mixer with adjustable curve control- the "older" cheaper that Stanton,Numark original(PRO SM series)and of course VESTAX did on their early skratch models still done today

you can get them as cheap as $1.50 compared to a VCA chip that goes around 10 bucks each,but as you can expect,
they are not as long lasting,and as in the case of Vestax PMC mixers (older 05/06/07) for example,the sharpness starts to go and they slowly die out like an old light bulb dimming out-
VCAs don't have that problem you get what you pay for and the price is usually reflected in the mixer

the design of optocouplers is very simple internally optical lens and sender/emitter and led) you can basically make your own with electric tape, (ask GIZMO for the home made optocoupler replacement that was on skratchlounge here some member did to a Vestax mixer with an optical lens and an led-the other side of the optocoupler is +,- ,vcc and ground very simple

so to make it short yes you can use the fader. In terms of replacing the optocoupler for about $1.50 you can't go wrong.
If you want to switch the optocoupler to a VCA you have to find the right circuit pin diagram and layout- they do not match with all brand parts and check the voltage if they can survive in your mixer

but to be honest ,to switch the mixer from optocoupler to VCA is a total waste of time (and money) unless you a doing a college electronic term paper/independant study project/science fair type of shit-just get a new optocoupler. Its really easy to be honest just do a google search of the part number and manufacturer's name and order a new one-it's pretty simple-just follow the curve control leads to the crossfader and the 3 position switch to the phono 1& 2's

#4 DJ Kronik

DJ Kronik

White Belt

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(the willpowa @ Feb 26 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so to make it short yes you can use the fader. In terms of replacing the optocoupler for about $1.50 you can't go wrong.
If you want to switch the optocoupler to a VCA you have to find the right circuit pin diagram and layout- they do not match with all brand parts and check the voltage if they can survive in your mixer

but to be honest ,to switch the mixer from optocoupler to VCA is a total waste of time (and money) unless you a doing a college electronic term paper/independant study project/science fair type of shit-just get a new optocoupler. Its really easy to be honest just do a google search of the part number and manufacturer's name and order a new one-it's pretty simple-just follow the curve control leads to the crossfader and the 3 position switch to the phono 1& 2's

Thanks willpowa. That sounds like a pain in the rear for that mixer. However, I might consider doing that for my champagne PCV-275! But I should talk about that more in a "Mods" forum post.

Peace!

#5 emarx

emarx

Green Belt

• Gear Geeks
  • 341 posts
  • DJ Name:DJ Ellichoptah

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

Hey Kronik,

The Innofader fits in the SK-2 without mods. We've had several DJs install it already.

Elliot

#6 Flexinoodle

Flexinoodle

Orange Belt

• Gear Geeks
  • 201 posts
  • DJ Name:Thesouthernfriedfyfingaflexinoodlesakathegoldfish

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

Sick
I have an SK2 somewhere biggrin.gif
Innofader time for that old beast

Flexi

#7 DJ Kronik

DJ Kronik

White Belt

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE(Flexinoodle @ Feb 28 2009, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sick

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks, Emarx.

BTW, I'm loving my AEM100i. I'm looking forward to seeing Audio Innovate's next thing. Keep up the great work! laugh.gif

#8 d.ura

d.ura

Mopping the dojo floor

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

Just wondering about some technical aspects of the power source for the stanton sk two:
voltage
amps
polarity (+/-)?
ac-dc or ac-ac?
im new to this and dont have a power supply so i'm not sure if i need the source made by stanton or if theres a cheaper alternative
thanks for the help

#9 the willpowa

the willpowa

Brown Belt

• Gear Geeks
  • 787 posts
  • DJ Name:willpowa

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE(d.ura @ Aug 4 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering about some technical aspects of the power source for the stanton sk two:
voltage
amps
polarity (+/-)?
ac-dc or ac-ac?
im new to this and dont have a power supply so i'm not sure if i need the source made by stanton or if theres a cheaper alternative
thanks for the help

to answer your question in brief and put this to rest (also goes for Stanton SA-3 owners too)
just get one of those cheapo little 3-12v polarity switch adaptors you can get at just about any radio shack/the source or little electronics suppliers, that should work just fine. It does not matter which one is positive or negative becauce it has a polarity reverse switch. Just set the thing to 12v and flip the switch until the power LED light goes on in your mixer

THIS power supply output voltage made to popular 12v standard(12-14v output) on the SA-3/SK 2 should be STANDARD on ALL of the Stanton skratch mixers,but Stanton wants to make money on replacement parts as well,tis about profit$$$$$$, right?

Pretty much a waste of time (and money) to get one from Stanton or waste money getting the SA-3 power adaptor-basically the SA-3 is an updated version of the SK-2 without the mic eq section (big deal/who cares anyway)and slightly better sound quality-thats all.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users